Friday 30 November 2012

Brainstorming- The foundations of my ideas

So I have decided to brainstorm my ideas as this technique helps me to plan and decide what my next steps are. I have already typed up my synopsis so I know my current storyline. I have knocked off all ideas about a Romance vampire film as it's so familiar and I find it predictable and dull. I want my idea to leave the audience guessing what will happen next and to achieve this I will need to create a storyline that can make people feel out of their comfort zone.

Down below I have annotated my brainstorm. I will explain the decisions I have made and why.

Characters- I will have only one Protagonist that will be a Doctor and also a vampire. I want to break the representations of all vampires being selfless "blood sucking" monsters. I also want to create a conflict between this good vampire and the other vampires which are antagonists. This will most defiantly create suspense.
I have chosen to represent all the patients at the 'Mental Institution of Louisana' as victims. This way they are seen as weak and unable to protect themselves. People who have been sent to a Asylum tend to be a harm to society or themselves. But in this case, within the the walls of this institution they are the victims.

Setting-  I have chosen to set my film in the Winter as vampires are commonly known as being cold blooded and in the Winter it gets dark very early and this would suit a vampire's needs as attacking outside wouldn't be so risky whereas in the Summer it would, as people are likely to be out later enjoying the weather. I have chosen to have the story filmed in the past and present as I will have many flashbacks of some of the patients personal stories based on how they ended up in a mental institution. I like the thought of flashbacks as it feels like an intrusion of someone's private thoughts and memories. This way we can understand the characters and their emotions. It's going to be set in America, Louisiana. Louisiana is known to have a multicultural and multilingual heritage which is strongly influenced by the French, Spanish, Native American and African cultures.  I did want to set it in Pennsylvania which is the state beneath New York but I was looking at the Southern states. Also I didn't want to set it in Europe either as I find the films set in Europe are quite dull and slowly paced. 



















1 comment:

  1. Www. Clear decisions regarding the direction you wish to take your project. You have based this on some research though this needs to be identified more clearly in the annotations. Good justifications of your decisions regarding mise en scene, narrative and representations.

    Ebi. You used media terminology more effectively throughout, as well as referencing your research, films, directors and characters.

    ReplyDelete